Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Living with Allergies - An Interview

I spent a lot of time deciding who I should interview.  I wanted my interview to be helpful to people with allergies.  At first I thought I'd interview a medical professional but I decided it would be more helpful to speak with someone who had lived with allergies all their life. I chose a business associate who has extensive food allergies.  I was interested in learning how she managed to be so successful with the health issues she constantly dealt with.  My interviewee is a successful Financial Advisor with over 25 years of experience. She is physically active even though she only has 25% lung capacity.  

I asked: How long have you had food allergies?

I have had food allergies since the day I was born.  My first allergy was to milk.  I had to eat soy formula.  As I got older I had very bad asthma and eczema.  I was tested for food allergies.  From both blood tests and scratch tests it was determined I was allergic to eggs, potatoes, carrots and rye.  Needless to say my family got very sick of eating rice and I couldn't have french fries!

I asked:  Were there any treatments available at the time for your food allergies?

The first thing we did was to make sure I avoided all the foods I was allergic to.  After that I received four shots a week for my allergies.  I am not sure if the shots were for food allergies or for my other allergies but I had them every week for four years growing up.

I asked: Have your allergies stayed the same or have they changed over the years?

For many years I didn't have any food allergies at all.  I thought I had outgrown them.  Then about three years ago I ate a nut and had an anaphylactic reaction.  Then I ate some crab and had the same reaction.  So as of now I can eat eggs, carrots, rye and potatoes but have to avoid shellfish and nuts.  Right now it's just walnuts and crab but I am careful with all nuts and shellfish.

I asked:  How do you operate as a successful business person and manage your allergies?

When I was young there was no such thing as an Epi-Pen.  Every reaction was life threatening.  I am very careful about what I eat.  I carry an Epi-pen, benedryl and steroids with me at all times in case I experience anaphylaxis.

I asked:  Have you every had a life threatening allergic reaction?

When I was young I ended up in the hospital several times.  With these new allergies I have also had reactions.  One time I was at a business meeting and asked if there was shellfish in the soup.  The server told me no.  It turns out there was crab in the soup and I ended up in an ambulance being rushed to the hospital!  It was embarrassing to have that happen in front of all my business colleagues.  Another time I was at an airport and ate at the salad bar.  I got on the plane and as it was taking off I began to experience an anaphylactic reaction.  I immediately loaded myself up with benedryl and steroids.  Luckily that worked.  If the reaction had been any worse I might have had to ask them to land the plane!

I asked: What advice would you give to someone about managing their food allergies?

Most important is to take your food allergies seriously.  Every new reaction seems to be more severe so avoiding anything your allergic to is the key.  Not all restaurants train the staff to take allergies seriously so if something looks suspicious don't eat it!  It is also important to take the Epi-pen and medicine with you wherever you go.  It is impossible to tell when you will get a reaction.  Also, don't be embarrassed to ask how the food is made and what's in it. People without food allergies do not always understand how serious a reaction can be.  Finally, don't let your allergies hold you back from doing the things you want to do.  I have very bad asthma but it doesn't prevent me from riding my bike, kayaking and engaging in other activities I love.  Everyone has difficulties.  But they should not hold you back!

I found this interview very inspiring and I wanted to share it on my blog.  My interviewee is a very successful Financial Advisor who manages a large group of clients and needs to be well and available to help her clients make financial decisions.  In addition, she leads an active and productive life.  She is the mother of two children, owns two homes, skis, boats and bikes.  I am hoping my life works out as well!














No comments:

Post a Comment