Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Am I having an Allergic Reaction?

In a recent post I listed the signs of an allergic reaction.  Each food I eat gives me a different reaction so I am never sure if I am having an allergic reaction or something else is going on.

I spend a lot time talking about anaphylaxis in this blog.  I get an anaphylactic reaction from eating nuts.  Its pretty clear when then happens and I know what to do.  I get other reactions from other foods.  If I eat eggs I get diarrhea but if I touch an egg my hands and face swell.  If I touch shellfish I get hives up and down my arms.  I have never tried to eat shellfish since touching it causes me so many problems.  Sesame and mustard make my stomach hurt.  It's very difficult to identify those two items in food so it can happen at any time.

I also have asthma but I have no idea if it's from food.  It's difficult to determine if you are allergic, got food poisoning or you have a stomach flu.  If you are allergic to food make sure that you carefully avoid whatever made you sick and don't eat again until you are either supervised by a physician or are sure you are not allergic.  You could be putting your life in jeopardy!

1 comment: